Armenia hotels portal
» » The Temple of Garni

The Temple of Garni

The Temple of Garni is an Ionic temple in the Kotayk region, near the village of Garni.

Movses Khorenatsi attributes the formation of Garni to the great-grandson of Hayk, Gegham, whose grandson, Garnik, was also called Garni

Garni pagan temple was built in the second half of the 2nd century AD (77 AD). After the adoption of Christianity the temple became “summer residence” of Trdad G’s sister Khostrovdukht.

The temple was dedicated to the pagan god Areg-Mihr: god of light, truth, justice.
24 columns of the temple symbolize 24 hours of a day.

 This Hellenistic temple was destroyed during the earthquake of 1679 and only in January 1969 the restoration work began. The works were led by Alexander Sahinyan. The restoration took place in 1975, exactly 19 centuries after the temple was completed, and nearly three centuries after the destruction.

On April 28, 2011, it became known that Garni Historical and Cultural Complex was awarded the UNESCO-Greece 2011 Melina Mercury Award
Gallery
Hotel location
Information
Users of Guests are not allowed to comment this publication.